EXTRAVAGANT NONSENSE

The news branch of the Back of the Net wiki.

Tuesday 1 December 2009

Redgrave admits: I was out of my depth

Olympic hero Sir Steve Redgrave concedes his five gold medals counted for nothing when he conspired to produce the dullest FA Cup third round draw in 98 years.

Despite reservations regarding Redgrave's lack of a football background, the FA chose the towering rower to partner England women's captain Kelly Smith for the showpiece draw of this season's FA Cup.

And the decision backfired spectacularly as a flustered Redgrave continually paired teams from the same division, producing a multitude of dogshit encounters such as Scunthorpe-Barnsley and Bristol City-Cardiff City.

Even the crafty, devilish Jim Rosenthal stopped trying to put a gloss on the ties and audibly muttered: "Jesus Christ Redgrave, sort it out" before reading out Leicester City v Swansea City.

"I thought my mighty rower's arms would see me through but I had no idea what I was doing," a stony-faced Redgrave murmured.

"Kelly would tee me up with Aston Villa but all I could do was pull out Blackburn, that seemed to happen all day. There's so much more to doing the draw than I ever imagined."

The FA are expected to return to safer hands of steady ex-pros for the fourth round and have announced their intention to "see what Ray Parlour's up to."

4 comments:

  1. How could Bristol Vs Cardiff be described as dull? Rubbish maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. true that, bristol-cardiff is massive

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dull 3rd round draw?

    What about Wigan v Hull??



    OK, I see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steady ex-pro needed to perform simple task whilst looking vaguely presentable?

    Surely this calls for Michael Owen.


    PS: Yap are scum.

    ReplyDelete